Monday, July 30, 2007

What's The Frequency, Dubya?

Staying with the secret spying and FISA abuse for a minute or two, we have this item from CNN that appeared over the weekend, in particular this excerpt (regarding why President Clouded Vision thinks FISA should be gutted in the manner he wants)…

Bush said terrorists now use disposable cell phones and the Internet to communicate, recruit operatives and plan attacks -- tools that weren't available when FISA passed nearly 30 years ago.
Hmmm, disposable cell phones; is that also supposed to mean, by association, disposable cell phone numbers?

(This point is probably too obvious to post about, but it should be mentioned considering the life form who brought it up.)

I’m sure this has happened to you also, but when I bought a digital phone because my old, clunky but reliable analog one wasn’t supported any more, my service provider (Verizon) deactivated my old phone. I don’t know the particulars about the diagnostic checks performed by a cell phone when it is powered up, and I certainly don’t know the proprietary algorithms, but I think it’s safe to say that the service provider ensures that the connection is taking place between that service provider and the designated phone only.

If the connection is taking place from the service provider to any other phone but the designated one, then that is the fault of the service provider. There is no need to amend FISA law in this circumstance (and by the way, I’m sure Mike McConnell wishes he hadn’t been so candid about Bushco’s utterly manufactured runup to the Iraq war here).

I realize the word “subtle” doesn’t exist in Dubya’s vocabulary (too many letters, I guess), but he would have done much better had he acquired a skill for telling little lies instead of huge ones that insult our intelligence.

No comments: