Wednesday, April 11, 2007

True To His Word, Sadly

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that discarded embryonic stem cells used for medical research will only be destroyed anyway if we fail to use them?

Does any logically thinking adult out there (automatically excluding you-know-who, of course) seriously believe that using embryonic stem cells for medical research actually encourages abortion?

I automatically ask these questions each time I hear a politician state his or her opposition to embryonic stem cell research on religious grounds. And I know many devout, intelligent people feel that way, but I just wonder what it will take to get through to them on this, assuming that is possible.

And that of course brings us to Sen. Bob Casey, who pledged again recently to oppose embryonic stem cell research when the Senate reintroduces legislation upon their return from the break (which is today, I believe), as noted here. This is completely consistent with what Casey promised in his campaign, by the way.

Still, though, I think he should have a talk with Shelbie and Jeff Oppenheimer about this, and he can learn more about them here.

No comments: