Thursday, April 12, 2007

Part Man, Part Monkey, Part Pope

So Benedict XVI recently stated “there is much suffering in the world,” and it was nice to see him acknowledge the reality of our life and times. And this made me wonder what he would address next on the world stage.

And I have to admit that I didn’t see the theory of evolution anywhere on that list, though I guess I should have; as this Times of London story notes, the Vatican sacked the chief astronomer last year after he said that “intelligent design” (re: some great big nice force created life as we know it, so why don’t we just all shut up and forget about the scientific method of reasoned hypothesis and analysis of data and learn to be just smart enough to get hired at Wal-Mart, OK?) “was not science and did not belong in classrooms” (the former astronomer sounds like a pretty bright guy to me).

As the Times Story further notes…

The Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, who is close to Benedict, has also appeared to back intelligent design, dismissing a 1996 statement by Pope John Paul II that Darwin's theory of evolution was "more than just a hypothesis" as "rather vague and unimportant."
Nice to ‘dis John Paul, you guys (it's not like he can defend himself or anything)…

So, as you can see, the current leader of the Roman Catholic Church is truly emerging as a force of guidance in matters of faith and doctrinal belief (that is, if you live in Kansas, though “ID” doesn’t hold sway as it once did even there).

In this post from a few days ago, I provided background on Pope Benedict XVI from a New Yorker article by Jane Kramer in which he said he believed he would have “a short papacy.”

I’m sorry, Your Holiness, but I hope you’re right.

No comments: