Thursday, November 10, 2005

A Little Red, Mangled Porsche



If this blog is ostensibly about anything in particular, I suppose it would be politics more than anything else because there is so much going on that I believe is worthy of comment. I know, though, that I’ve been dabbling a lot in the local sports world lately, mainly because of that guy…you know, the uh…football player who formerly played for the Eagles, I think? And what are his initials again?

Well, as Mike Sielski of the Bucks County Courier Times reminds us, a stunning sports-related tragedy occurred in this area 20 years ago today, and I believe it is necessary to say something about it again.

Also, this links to a post from T-Nation which is borderline R-rated, for those keeping track of that sort of thing, though author TC makes some terrific points about personal responsibility (Pelle Lindbergh, I believe, was an extremely responsible person who made one terrible, terrible mistake).

The mistake is that, as a twenty-something individual who happened to be an elite athlete and one of the finest goaltenders in the National Hockey League at that time, he basically thought he was indestructible. This is typical of most young men (mainly) at that age, I think. That’s what I believed for a time, anyway. It’s what led him to drink to excess that fateful night in New Jersey (he displayed no outward signs of his thorough intoxication by all accounts).

I’m reminded of this because of the recent spate of fatalities from car wrecks that have occurred in our area, with young men and women either killed, maimed, or suffering other emotional damage from which they will have a difficult time trying to recover.

If you’re reading this and know anyone prone to engage in this high-risk behavior, please tell them about Pelle Lindbergh and what happened to him. If you yourself act this way, please read this post and all the text from the links.

I’m nobody special, I know. I’m not a football tight end telling you not to take drugs. I’m not some politician telling you not to drop out of school. I’m just a parent trying to help who is older and a bit wiser from his own mistakes.

No comments: