Thursday, November 10, 2005

"I Am Dubya Here!"

I was curious to learn more about Robert Zoellick after this story appeared on CNN today. It seems that he is in Darfur (and how often does news about THIS place of the world typically show up in the beloved MSM?) trying to mediate in that impoverished and troubled area, and in the midst of this, he calls out Regional commissioner Sadiek Abdel Nabi (I’ll put aside the fact that that’s a ridiculous diplomatic faux pas for now).

After some investigation, it turns out that Zoellick is one of these free-trade zealots (no “news flash” for Bushco, I admit) preaching the gospel of capitalism with the strong-armed assistance of the World Trade Organization.

My question is this: what the hell is he doing on a peacekeeping mission in Darfur, of all places?

I realize that “free” trade is highly of interest to the “haves,” not just in our country but everywhere else in the world, but in order to sign an agreement with a viable trading partner, doesn’t that country have to be “viable” to begin with? Call me crazy, but shouldn’t you send in the diplomats first in an attempt to reconcile that mess and worry about the payoff later?

Oh, and did I also bother to point out Zoellick’s connection to Enron?

Yes, I know it’s easy sport to poke fun at Bushco’s underlings, but Dubya and his people make it impossible to resist doing it.

No comments: