Saturday, June 28, 2008

Another Dem/Repug Double Standard

I thought this was a particularly good "Media Matters" column today from Jamison Foser (h/t Atrios) about our beloved corporate voice and the one set of rules they employ for Dems (John Edwards in this case) vs. Repugs (McBush) - I hope you find it thought-provoking also.

And speaking of the Repug nominee, he'e going to come to Bucks on Monday to make up for the visit he cancelled here, and he'll be scheduled to visit the Worth location once more.

And speaking of McCain, I absolutely had to take note of the unbelievable wankery by Richard Cohen (surprised?) last week when he said, in essence, that Barack Obama didn't have any values because he wasn't a prisoner of war in Vietnam like John W. McBush (who, of course, is nothing but honorable for that - sorry, but he's gotten so much mileage out of that that it's becoming nothing but background noise at this point - and he and Obama both have played games on the campaign financing issue).

And what's really ridiculous is that Brian Williams of NBC News said that Cohen showed "courage" in writing a column like that here - his "post" should be titled "The Wank Of Others" instead.

Update: And I can see this and this getting subsequently ignored also.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is it my property taxes are higher than McCains?

And if they are living off a trust fund...is the income taxed as regular income or capital gains?

Just asking.

doomsy said...

I guess the degree to which the fund is taxed depends on the movement of any of the funds' holdings. My understanding is that capital gains considerations would only come into play if and when assets are bought or sold (but I'm not an expert on that stuff, I hasten to add).

Their tax bracket is on the high end, I'm sure, but I guess it also depends on how the trust is structured - maybe there's a certain amount of money that the McCains use as disposable income and when they go beyond that the high-end rate kicks in (sure would be interesting to be their accountant). I also don't know anything about tax law in the state of Arizona - all this stuff is my best guess.