Sunday, September 10, 2006

Words From A Man Who Knew

I know that you-know-what will be broadcast shortly despite our entreaties, perverting (in my mind) what is definitely an occasion for reflection and remembrance. More than that, though, I think this anniversary should be an occasion for reaffirming what it is that we're all about, despite it all.

With that in mind, I can think of nothing more appropriate than this (though I suppose it typically should be shown on July 4th). I'm referring to this performance of "The House I Live In," by the one-and-only Frank Sinatra at "The Main Event" at Madison Square Garden in 1974 (and yes, that's Walter Cronkite getting appropriately choked up - how could you not feel that way actually - and I thought the looks on the faces of some in the audience told stories all by themselves).

No comments: