Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Vote That Never Was

I’ve kept clear of the race between Lois Murphy and incumbent Repug Jim Gerlach for the U.S. House 6th Congressional District from PA – sorry, only so many hours in the day for yours truly, though Lois is a great candidate – but I absolutely stopped dead in my tracks when I read about this.

In this most recent example (re: a Gerlach attack ad against Murphy), the television ad charged that Lois Murphy opposes providing adequate body armor for troops and cited a vote in Congress as the source. Since Lois has yet to serve in Congress, it is impossible that she could have cast a vote on the bill. Not to mention, Lois has been a staunch advocate of providing our troops with adequate body armor.
The person in the Gerlach campaign who came up with this doozy must have armor around his or her brain.

As far as the congressman himself is concerned on military issues, though:

• Rep. Gerlach opposed expanding access to the military's TRICARE health insurance program to thousands of Reservist and National Guard members, even though 20 percent of all Reservists do not have health insurance, and 40 percent of Reservists aged 19 to 35 lack health coverage (just like Mikey - Gerlach is also included in the photo).
• Rep. Gerlach voted against granting a bonus to grant a $1,500 bonus to every American service member serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, including National Guard and Reserve forces.
To help Lois, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Doomsy,

I was just looking back through some old posts I had done, looking for a phrase in a haystack as it were, and I came across you kind link from last year on 10-15-2005.

I am usually pretty meticulous in thanking people who link to our site. In this case, i clearly fell down on the job. So here I am, almost a year later to say thank you.

One of the most compelling things about blogging is that it allows anyone to give and receive hope, and in many forms. It's ability to reach out and make connections withpeople I would otherwise likely never come across is always astonishing to me.

So I want to say thank you, for being one of those people.

And also, GO LOIS! No I am not in your district, but I have been a supporter of Lois' since 2003.

This time, I think she will make it, which is great. She is a wonderful and tough, but with a complex world political vision that bespeaks an intelligent and deep understanding of the US's unique combination of power and humanity. I have every confidence that she will bring those qualities to her work in Congress, God willing.

Take care, and thanks again so much,

Casey Morris, Managing Editor
The Democracy Cell Project
www.democracycellproject.net/blog

doomsy said...

Casey,

You're very welcome - glad to help anytime.