Monday, October 02, 2006

A Detour En Route To Privacy

I know that this story is kind of dicey considering all of the Foley-related activity currently going on, but I thought it deserved attention.

OK, so the Supreme Court struck down the Texas sodomy law in November 2003, but even though it supposedly enshrined a right to sexual privacy, the Supremes decided not to rule on a case involving a constitutional challenge to that state’s ban on sex toys.

(I’m sorry – I know there are a lot of good folks in Texas, and we have some “blue laws” here in Pa. that are kind of stupid, I have to admit, but who in their right mind would expect police who are outmanned and outgunned all over the place these days to enforce something like this? “OK, Clem, drop that dildo or we’ll shoot!” Excuse me if I express concern over trafficking in drugs, guns, stolen vehicles, or just about anything else as opposed to sex toys).

Yes,"Lawrence" is a much more important ruling over a more important issue, and I suppose the case in question today is more a matter of commerce than privacy. But in the state which incarcerates the highest percentage of its population of all of those in the U.S., I would tend to rethink the stupidity of locking up someone whose only crime is to buy a butt plug or a cock ring.

No comments: