Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Never Too Old To Learn

Kudos to the Society of Professional Journalists here for trying to instruct bloggers on the ins and outs of avoiding lawsuits, as well as imparting other journalistic fundamentals.

The ends for something like this, though, is usually for news organizations to recruit bloggers to report on local meetings and hearings in the municipality in which they live as a cost-saving measure. I respect that, but personally, it’s something I no longer wish to do, so I post about the stuff you see here instead.

From a meta perspective, I should note that I’m not trying to hurt anyone’s commerce or promote non-factual information that could be detrimental to someone’s livelihood (if I state that I don’t like someone’s work and provide reasons, that can hardly be considered injurious).

First and foremost, I’m trying to promote the free exchange of ideas. I’m also not trying to defame anyone or injure their reputation; if factual information that I communicate here happens to do that, then that’s not my fault.

Also, I try to make sure my comments are addressed towards people in the public eye or individuals who have advertised their point of view in a public forum. Again, their personal circumstances aren’t any of my business; I’m only commenting on their opinion.

With that out of the way, I say thanks once again to the SPJ, but I would have to ask why they stated here that Jeff Gannon (pictured) is a “reporter” (with HuffPo making the same error here; if that’s true, then Amy Winehouse is the reincarnation of Mother Teresa).

No comments: