Friday, August 18, 2006

Let Joe Help Build "The Structure"

(You need to read this quote to understand the title of this post.)

I didn’t note this on Monday, but Social Security marked its 71st birthday, with President Franklin D. Roosevelt signing it into law on August 14, 1935. It was meant as an insurance policy of sorts for workers nearing retirement and not as a means to generate income, which is course is the argument Dubya and the Repugs have used for privatization for many years.

I mention this because Joe Sestak, the Dem running against Crazy Curt Weldon in the U.S. House 7th congressional district, has gone on the record as opposing Social Security privatization, which I totally support. The Sestak campaign has also challenged Weldon on this issue, and Crazy Curt has characteristically waffled on this important issue. Joe has also produced a document stating more about this, and I’ll link to it later.

Last December I posted this and said that we should get rid of the $90,000 ceiling on earnings subject to Social Security withholding, and Sestak has also come out in support of raising the ceiling on earnings, which is a good start in the process of insuring the program’s solvency.

(I almost – almost – feel sorry for Weldon. He surely must know that this is a stinking-dead-dog of an issue with the vast majority of the voters opposing privatization, but his crazed Repug leadership is being forced by Bushco to keep trying to shove it down the throats of the people in this country over and over again.)

(One more thing – if you go back and read what I posted last December, please feel free to ignore my comment war with freeper Robert.)

Joe Sestak provided bold, decisive leadership on this as far as I’m concerned. Though we have more work to do, I would feel confident with Joe taking a leading role in this, as opposed to Weldon, who doesn’t seem to know what to do about it.

No comments: