Thursday, May 04, 2006

The "Wet Noodle" Rep

This Guest Opinion in the Bucks County Courier Times this morning shows how vigorously Mike Fitzpatrick stands up to Don (The Defense Secretary You Have) Rumsfeld. Why, if writing letters were the same as firing bullets from a gun, Rummy would be pushing up the daisies by now.

Regarding your April 26th editorial about my thoughts on whether or Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should be relieved of his position.

For the past several months, the two individuals running in the Democratic primary have engaged in a non-stop race to see who can capture the attention of the far left.
As you will see, Fitzpatrick will talk about the politics related to Rumsfeld’s continued presence in the Bush Administration extensively (and with typical peevishness: “as I said,” “as I repeated”) before even attempting to address the cost of Rumsfeld’s abysmal failure in the job in human terms.

And of course, Fitzpatrick has to throw out some code language right away, being the good wingnut that he is…”far left” creating an immediate caricature that his audience can relate to and despise on cue.

In doing so, they have repeatedly tried in vain to pull me into their primary and align me with the far right. Instead of tackling the differences between their two platforms, or discussing issues of immediate importance to the district, the candidates have gone out of their way to paint me as a right wing conservative while ignoring my voting record that clearly demonstrates my independence.
I thought this was supposed to be about your position on Rumsfeld (though, to be fair, I admit that he’ll get back to it after these words from our sponsor).

By the way, I have sections in the right column of this page called "Read About The Eighth District," and "The Tom And Mikey Show" that contain interesting reading for your edification.

As I have repeated in the past, I do not think it is appropriate for me to take part in an ongoing dialogue with the two Democratic candidates for Congress before the May primary election. I firmly believe that the voters should choose who will represent the Democratic Party without my intervention. I look forward to a healthy debate with my opponent in the general election.
Going “off topic” yet again…

Nonetheless, I have stated as early as January that I support a withdrawal of our troops from Iraq.
Smooth move to say that without committing to a timeframe (though according to Joe Biden, they’re being pulled out even as I write this).

However, as I stated in an April 2nd letter that I sent to Secretary Rumsfeld, I have avoided use of our government’s efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan for purposes of political self-advancement and grandstanding.
And I’m sure that just warmed the cockles of Rummy’s coal-black heart…how nice.

For the sake of our troops overseas, I have preferred to address this issue with respect.
While our people continue to get maimed and/or die in this war based on lies and exacerbated by Rumsfeld’s incompetence, to say nothing of the sacrifices of innocent Iraqis…”with respect” of course.

My political opponents have called for Secretary Rumsfeld’s resignation. I have not. I agree with my Democratic colleague, Sen. Joe Lieberman, when he said that as to “whether Don Rumsfeld should continue to serve is up to him and the president at whose pleasure he serves.”
And by the way, to contribute to Ned Lamont, click here.

Personally, I have had serious concerns over the prosecution of the war on terror.
Another Repug code phrase, of course…no, it’s not the Iraq Debacle, or the Iraq Quagmire. No no no! It’s the NOW AND FOREVER NEVER, EVER ENDING FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES WAR ON TERROR!

You’ve done well using the playbook, Mikey. Go get a nice, big, fat wad of untraceable cash from the RNC that you can use for walking-around money.

Last May, I traveled to Iraq to investigate concerns that our troops were not being supplied with adequate armor for their vehicles. While visiting armoring facilities, I learned from troops that newer technology was needed to meet the evolving and growing threat from IEDs. After returning home, I wrote to Secretary Rumsfeld expressing my concerns and met with DoD staff; actions that led to the implementation of improved anti-IED technology in Iraq.
Notice that Fitzpatrick doesn’t say whether or not the troops got their body armor for themselves or their vehicles or how many of their humvees received this glamorous new, “anti-IED technology.”

Oh, and as long as we’re talking about the safety and care of our troops (“supporting” them, if you will), can Fitzpatrick please explain why he opposed expanding access to the military’s TRICARE health insurance program to thousands of Reservist and National Guard members, even though 20 percent of all reservists do not have health insurance, and 40 percent of reservists aged 19 to 35 lack health coverage? (HR 1815, Vote #221, 5/25/2005)

Concerning charges of over billing by contractors in Iraq, I voted for an amendment that would have denied the use of funds for awarding contracts to any contractor who mismanaged government funds (HR 4938 Roll Call No. 60).
Of course, good luck trying to prove that a contractor did that.

I’ll tell you what, Mikey. Contact your House colleague Louise Slaughter and tell her that you support her call for a modern-day “Truman Commission” to investigate contractor fraud in Iraq. I’ll take that seriously, OK?

Following that vote, on April 2nd, I wrote to Secretary Rumsfeld expressing my constituents’ concerns regarding over billing practices by private firms awarded contracts by the Defense Department.

I strongly opposed the secretary’s stubborn and misguided attempts at preventing Army intelligence officers from testifying openly on the Able Danger program that could have predicted the 9/11 attacks.
Uh oh, Fitzpatrick is channeling “Crazy Curt” Weldon. This is not a good thing (of course, according to Curt, had those officers been allowed to testify, we would have found that Clinton was responsible for letting those who perpetrated 9/11 get away with it – you know that, right??).

I have expressed my position to the DoD that our presence in Iraq should be temporary and that no permanent U.S. military bases in Iraq should be constructed.
You can see how well Rummy and company listened to him here.

(Oh, but that’s only going to be an “embassy” the size of 80 football fields. Riiiight…)

Finally, I have expressed my strong opposition to Secretary’s Rumsfeld’s continued support of the School of the Americas because our tax dollars should not be spent to train and educate tomorrow’s Latin American strongmen and dictators today.
Yep, we only sanction torture in areas of the world where we can actually steal somebody’s oil, right?

I firmly maintain my belief that our troops serve with honor and distinction. They deserve to come home with honor and a sense of accomplishment.
What courage to take a stand which no one in his or her right mind could possibly oppose.

They should return home soon under a structured troop withdrawal plan developed by military personnel on the ground in Iraq – not Washington politicians or candidates for Congress.
Really? I find that to be interesting. No input from Bushco at all regarding when our people will come home? Sure. How dumb do you think we are, Mikey?

Update: Speaking of Rummy, I want to buy Ray McGovern a beer (and I love the part about him almost getting ushered out even though he was only exercising his right of free speech…what a great country we’ve become, huh?).

No comments: