Friday, May 05, 2006

I Knew This Would Happen

Steering off politics again here (please bear with me)…

The Bucks County Courier Times has a space at the bottom left corner of Page One of the Sports page for quotes from sports personalities, and this is today’s quote (concerning the upcoming Kentucky Derby):

“I love lawyers. I know all about lawyers. If there was a Lawyer Johnnie, Lord knows, I’d put my house on it.”

The quote pertains to a horse called Lawyer Ron who is apparently favored to win (I don’t know the odds).

The person who uttered the quote is O.J. Simpson.

O.J. Simpson.

You remember O.J., right? Great college running back with USC, solid NFL career primarily with the Buffalo Bills, spokesman for Hertz Rent-A-Car, actor in the “Naked Gun” movies, analysts on ABC’s Monday Night Football, generally well liked and respected for a time, and…uh…wait a minute, now. There was something else. Don’t remind me – it’s on the tip of my tongue, as they say.

Oh, yeah, I remember now. He was tried in criminal court in California and acquitted in the double murder of wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman in October 1995 by a bunch of virtually brain-dead jurors in south central Los Angeles who believed that, somehow, Mark Fuhrman planted DNA evidence all over the crime scene in an attempt to frame the former NFL star (of course, as Vincent Bugliosi explained in one of the many good books about the trial, Fuhrman could not logically have done that, though as far as I’m concerned, logic had very little to do with the criminal trial). Simpson was convicted of wrongful death in the civil trial that followed (and as far as I know, neither the Brown or Goldman families have seen one dime of the approximately $33 million judgment rendered against Simpson).

So this is the individual who the Bucks County Courier Times thinks is newsworthy enough to merit a mention in a “celebrity quotable people” kind of vein?

This is utterly deplorable. What short memories some people have.

(By the way, the paper also has a great Guest Opinion from Patrick Murphy today.)

No comments: