Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Finding A Voice?

I support Bob Casey for the U.S. Senate by default because he’s the Democratic candidate and also because “Little Ricky” is not a serious option under any circumstances (and, as Atrios points out, Ricky is so considerate towards his PA “neighbors” also).

That being said, I should point out that I am still trying to figure out exactly what Casey stands for (I know he’s anti-choice and I also want to find out just how pro-gun he is; by the way, memo to the Casey campaign: I HATE it when streaming video and – especially – audio pops up automatically when accessing a web site. There are ALL KINDS OF REASONS why I want to be able to control that default selection myself when accessing a site. It looks and sounds really slick, but I’ll check out your site from a secure location next time.)

However, I did manage to catch Casey’s appearance that is mentioned in this release from his web site. I have to say he addressed the issues of health insurance for small businesses and, in particular, the eight million uninsured children in this country, with inspiration and resolve.

(That is such a staggering number that it’s easy to gloss over it, but to me, eight million children in this country without health insurance may be Bushco’s most pitiable and tragic legacy.)

Casey spoke well enough from his notes, sounding a bit like Warren Beatty actually though looking nothing like him, of course (neither do I, to be fair). But when he spoke “off the cuff” about how the Bush Administration and the Repug congress have taken a pass on these issues and how that to him (and me) is “a sin” and “a blot on our government,” his teeth were literally clenched and he looked like he wanted to take a poke at someone, basically saying that initiatives such as SCHIP and SEHBP (explained in the news release) were currently stuck in Congress. Casey said that all he would ask of Santorum is that the Republican "leadership" submit the legislation for an “up” or “down” vote, which of course I’m sure they will refuse to do, leaving it up to the Dems after the Repugs are removed from power in a few months (God willing).

I will grant you that it’s easy to say that Bushco’s obscene tax cuts could be repealed to pay for the initiatives Casey mentioned, but without doing the math, I would guess that that’s true (or at least the money saved would go a long way towards accomplishing that goal). However, as we know, it’s more than a question of money. It’s a question of priorities. And we’ve had to live these past six years especially with the consequences of Bushco’s neglect of anyone who isn’t…just…like…them (especially us). And who else is to blame for the hideous status quo besides Bushco and the Repugs (and chicken Dems also of course)?

The program I watched was on a PA public affairs cable station with Casey addressing a group of about 30-40 people. What a shame that some nothing sitcom, “CSI” or “Law and Order” something or other episode or “reality” show hadn’t been preempted to make room for it instead (though, as far as the networks are concerned, I guess “bread and circuses” are more important).

No comments: