Monday, May 22, 2006

The "Chocolate City" Crush

So Ray Nagin was reelected as NoLA mayor a couple of days ago; I thought he was done for sure (showed me, I guess).

I’m sure your family is proud of you, and I have no doubt that they enjoyed reading about your narrow victory over challenger Mitch Landrieu while they resided in another state.

And now that you’ve been returned to your job, I’m sure you’ll also come up with a good explanation regarding why you chose not to let that Texas company haul the vehicles that were abandoned as a result of Hurricane Katrina out of the state for compacting at a fraction of the cost of that charged by the Denver company that was awarded the job (with the New Orleans taxpayers having to make up the difference of over 15 million dollars…and it’s not like the residents of your beleaguered city have cash to burn anyway).

As I watch political events unfold in "the big N.O.," I have to admit that they bear a bit of a resemblance to that of Philadelphia, making me only a little homesick.

No comments: