Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Twin Remembrances

This site provides a summary of the counter-terrorism legislation proposed, drafted and ultimately passed since the Oklahoma City bombing, which took place 11 years ago today. It may be surprising to note that much of what was included in The Patriot Act was originally proposed under the Clinton administration, though under Clinton, there was a much more thorough review process, and the phone wiretapping provisions were removed of course.

Also, the biggest earthquake in San Francisco’s history took place 100 years ago today, as noted here. Also, I posted on this some time ago after Hurricane Katrina hit and the subsequent aftermath, and I explain why. I should point out, by the way, that I know I link back to a lot of old stuff from the site, and I do that because I honestly think it provides context; also, though I don’t know the statistics, I’m hoping that I’ll get extra traffic over time to this site, and this gives people who may be coming here for the first time the chance to read legacy content.

No comments: