Friday, April 21, 2006

Immobulus, Red Staters!

Having seen three “Harry Potter” movies and planning to see the fourth soon (“Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire”), I think I can qualify as somewhat of an expert on this subject, even though I am a “muggle” of course.

I have to laugh whenever I hear of stories like this or read someone say that these books and movies are a bad influence on kids. If you cast aside all of the amazing, wondrous mystical imagery, you would find that these stories, at their core, are about imagination, bravery, the value of friendship and self-reliance, the importance of “mentoring” to others…you know, all of the things that make most red staters break out in hives.

(By the way, Mrs. Rowling, if somehow you should read this, I’d like to point out that I have a link to PayPal halfway down the right-hand column of this page. If you could toss a pound or two my way for getting in a plug like this, though I realize you don’t need it, I’d be ever so grateful.)

No comments: