Tuesday, February 28, 2006

An Inconsistency

Believe me that I wouldn’t be linking to a column by Suzanne Fields unless I had a good reason, and I believe that I do.

She weighed in today on the departure of Larry Summers as president of Harvard University, and I know I said something about that yesterday (she does so with the requisite amount of right-wing smarminess, of course). I’m bringing this up again because I forgot to mention that one of the episodes that got Summers in hot water with some faculty was his refusal to divest the university from investments in Israel, despite a petition requesting that the school do so signed by 69 university professors.

So basically, this is the third thing that I think Summers got right for which he was roundly pilloried. I see now.

Well, along comes the news today that D.P. World, which of course would be responsible for operations at six U.S. ports, has effectively done the same thing that the professors at Harvard requested.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for this to bring Dubya’s port deal to a screeching halt, by the way (which would actually be in accordance with other right-wing dodges, as Green Greenwald notes so astutely here).

No comments: