Monday, December 12, 2005

Word Games Of The Worst Sort


So Bill (“Hide Muffy Before He Dissects Her”) Frist is “throwing down the gauntlet” as Sen. Charles Schumer put it regarding Sam (Sc)Alito’s nomination to the Supreme Court. Fristy wants an “up-and-down” vote on this guy; he’s entitled to that, but shouldn’t the Senate Judiciary Committee go through the formality of screening him first?

This quote in particular from the CNN story stood out for me (and I consider the phrase "Democratic stalling" to be highly pejorative, by the way):

“Sam Alito, who has a modest judicial temperament ... is someone who deserves advice and consent by the Senate," Frist told "Fox News Sunday."
Here and here are examples of (Sc)Alito’s “modest judicial temperament,” by the way.

The reason why I’m highlighting this quote is because it illustrates either a horrible job of paraphrasing what Frist said by the CNN correspondent (possible), or it communicates to me that Frist views the “advise and consent” role as one in which the Senate counsels the president’s nominee instead of the president (likely, given the way Frist operates).

I would call that an abdication of the duties of a member of Congress, elected to, in effect, do “the people’s business.” Frist is saying to me that, for him, it is a given that (Sc)Alito will be confirmed and his duty at this point is to provide counsel to him somehow in his capacity as a U.S. Senator. If Frist sincerely believes that, then he either doesn’t know how to do his job or doesn’t care.

Actually, if I were Frist, I’d be more concerned about my financial matters these days than anything else.

No comments: