Saturday, December 17, 2005

Priorities


I don't care about the elections in Iraq (oh, and by the way, the only reason the Sunnis decided to participate so heavily this time around, as opposed to their failure to do so during the election to ratify the Iraqi constitution, is because they got the word that a heavy turnout would be more of a reason for us to get the hell out of the country).

What I DO care about is the fact that we have a dangerous, lunatic demagogue sitting in the Oval Office who truly feels that he is above the law.

Atrios and The Huffington Post are absolute, must-reads today (so is Brandoland).

1 comment:

doomsy said...

Dear Gunner,

I'm glad that you're amused by the fact that the chief executive of this country feels that he can authorize wiretaps on its citizens without benefit of court oversight. I'm glad that you find it hilarious somehow that either you or I, as citizens of this country, could be detained as "enemy combatants" without due process rights.

I've already gone round and round with individuals such as Robert concerning the fact that we and our service people were lied into a war for some mythic concept of democracy that will never take root in Iraq if for no other reason because of the fact that it came from us, and anything from us is a source of evil to them (not saying they're right - that's just how they look at us). I would call launching a war for reasons that shift like grains of sand in the wind the act of a lunatic (What is it this week? Get rid of Saddam because he's a rotten, murdering bastard? Democracy? We have to think of something else because we can't use the WMD search any more).

I'm tired of Bush's lies and I'm tired of listening to people defending them (though you apparently don't have the capacity to do that and instead try to ridicule me...that's OK; that's the chance I take when I say this stuff). May you continue to chortle and guffaw, and I sincerely hope you can hang onto everything you hold dear and not lose ground because of any more dunderheaded decisions from the individual taking up space at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.