Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Swann "Slants" Right

I’ve teed off on Lynn Swann in the past because, even though he is absolutely one of the all-time great NFL wide receivers who played on some of the all-time great Pittsburgh Steeler teams, in my mind, his qualifications to run for governor of Pennsylvania are as thin as the zones on the football field into which he would run to make spectacular receptions before he was creamed by an NFL defensive back.

I give him credit for his accomplishments, and he has as much of a right to seek elected office as anyone, but let it be known by one and all that I support Ed Rendell, driving 100 mph down the PA turnpike and all. And right now, I see NOTHING in Swann’s background or qualifications that earns my vote over the Democrat incumbent.

And I’ll be honest with you – though it is completely expected for Dubya to want to “chill” with his new famous homey (re: the photo on the home page of ESPN’s web site), it still sickens me to see The Man Who Allowed New Orleans And The Gulf Coast To Drown as well as preside over the staggering loss of life in Iraq (and never forget that the CIA had a chance to take out al Zarqawi before Iraq War II even began) trying to attach himself to a pro athlete or celebrity trying to earn a job that (so far) I believe he doesn't merit.

Mr. Swann, I respect your athletic accomplishments and the life you have made for yourself off the field. But as far as I’m concerned, you are now a Repug, with your vacuous, empty rhetoric that hides your true intentions.

And I’m going to call you out, because now, it’s smash mouth time.

No comments: