Monday, September 05, 2005

Daylin Leach Equals Dumb Laughs

That having been said, though, I should point out that I think John Grogan did a hatchet job on Leach today in the Inquirer (I would link to it, but you have to register...more PA politics, re: "The Half-Full Glass" below).

Look, I know what Leach posted in his blog was moronic and offensive on all kinds of levels including ethnicity, sexual orientation, and glorification of drinking to excess (and those are only the once I can remember off the top of my head).

But I'm sorry - I just find it hard to get worked up by stupid frat boy antics when the pay raise issue is still out there, and I, for one, am paying closer attention to how these clowns in Harrisburg spend our money (actually, I find John Perzel's sanctimonious disdain for even addressing the pay raise issue to be a lot more galling than any of Leach's nonsense).

I'm sure Grogan is particularly peeved because I have a feeling Leach represents the district where he lives. He has a perfect right to feel that way. So, he can choose to pour his time and energies into working for Leach's opponent in the next election (and Grogan is absolutely right that Leach's next opponent is going to bludgeon him over this).

Still, though, I was annoyed when Grogan took Leach's statement about "progressive values" out of context. Grogan also failed to mention the anecdote about Leach and his wife naming their daughter "Brennan" after former Supreme Court justice William Brennan, which I found to be touching.

Finally, Grogan referred to Leach's "not-quite-an-apology." Leach did apologize, and this leads me to this question.

Is forgiveness a possibility for a contrite individual, which I believe Leach is? As with Bill Clinton, how many times is someone supposed to apologize after they've done wrong (and yes, I know Clinton lied and shaded the truth all over the place before he finally caved and said, yes, I received a carnal favor from Monica Lewinsky). What did Leach do to imperil someone's health or livelihood or that of their family? What is his voting record regarding legislation that affects our lives? That is the stuff that I care about.

And consider this; outside of Richard Clarke's tearful admission to the families of the 9/11 victims, when was the last time you heard a Republican apologize for anything? Take your pick...failure to heed warnings from the intelligence community before the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, as well as the PA plane crash, the rush into Iraq War II, the disaster of Katrina, etc.

Yes, I'm probably "mixing apples and oranges," but it's all politics in the end, whether local or national. And Daylin Leach's stupid remarks about "ta tas" and getting stoned with Henry Kissinger don't mean much to me with everything else going on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it comes down to judgement. Leach was shady on the pay raise and then openly defended it in the Inky. His blog/newsletters are embarassing to the people of his district. There has to be someone better out there to represent us.

doomsy said...

About the pay raise - yes, it sounds like Leach screwed up in the beginning a la Joe Conti (noted so well by Above Average Jane somewhere), but he did give back all or a portion of the money.

I realize Leach will never live down his blog; it was definitely a huge mistake that will haunt him over and over in public life, and I'm sure no one is more aware of that than he is. However, I would ask that you consider some of his good work such as this (interesting that I found this on a site promoting Lynn Swann Dive for governor, but there you are):

http://pennpatriot.blogspot.com/2006/06/nathan-hale-blatant-piece-of.html

Anonymous said...

"his good works"... this guy is supposed to represent people. He is crude, childish idiot. he thinks the voters will feel sorry that he has the limited capability when it comes to good judgement. He had to give back the money, he is worried about his job as a political hack! If he felt so strongly about it, why did he give it back?

doomsy said...

Wow, thanks so much for commenting on Leach's bill to try and end gerrymandering in PA (a long shot, but worth a try).

A lot of legislators gave back the money upon reconsideration, including Leach. As big a screwup as that was, I would ask that you consider more of his record, though it sounds like you made up your mind already. Fine, whatever...

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention his defense of the 2am pay raise in the Phila Inqr. How about his discussion of his friend breasts on his humor website? Or his jokes about his penis and the age of consent in the south...? If this kind of person represents you, then vote the pig in again because that is what tax money should be spent on.

Leach has been trying to end Gerrymandering... in over 220 years of this nation, congress or state legislatures have never passed a bill that would endanger their chances at re-election. This is lip service. Please inform the voters of the important bills that Leach has gotten passed over all these years! There must be at least a dozen I would hope. Probably not. He does get a citation or two passed commemorating a person or a historic tragic event 90 years ago, to apease a group of voters. He is the king of the giant phoney check, oh our tax money that he uses for a photo opportunity.

Let me ask you one question, would you hire him at your place of business? no one would that is why he stays in politics.

doomsy said...

Oh, do you mean State Senator Leach who has stood up to the gun lobby (a particularly timely note at this moment)? The state senator who has advocated for proper funding of our schools? The one who has called out the Corbett Administration for the Shell Monaca plant subsidy? The one who also called out our legislature and Corbett over the voter ID scam?

Actually, I wish he was my state senator, since we’re saddled with Chuck McIlhinney instead.