Wednesday, August 10, 2005

In Praise Of Our Neighbor

Sometimes I stumble across material for this site from the most unlikely sources, and I just found something in the U.S. 1 publication distributed to businesses along the Route 1 corridor from Trenton to North Brunswick, NJ that I want to share.

A man named Andrew Lubin has written a book called "Charlie Battery" about his son's experiences serving in a Marine artillery unit in Iraq, and Lubin will be at a book signing this Saturday from noon to 2PM at Classic Books, 117 South Warren Street, Trenton, NJ (his son is still with us, God willing).

Here is a link to the story in U.S. 1, which provides more information (and out of respect for the Lubin family, I'll withhold comment on the "better there than here" statement.)

(And by the way, here's a link to the story of another neighbor who didn't make it, courtesy of Atrios and The Daily Kos...it's almost overwhelming to contemplate at this point, as reflected in the comments, but we must do that at the very least.)

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Thanks for notcing my book and booksigning over in Trenton; it was very successfull and they continue to sell my book.

No offense taken at your "Better hear than there" comment - just make sure you remember to differentiate between the Marines and the elected officials who send them.

I've spent 7 months embedded with various Marine and Army units in Iraq and Afghanistan, and a better group of young men you'll never meet.

FYI, I'm pleased to advise that my son re-upped for another tour in the Marine Corps. S/F

www.andrewlubin.com

doomsy said...

Our military is never at fault when it comes to the matter of who sends them into battle, especially in this mess (as opposed to the politicians of course, which is a wholly other story, and I don't exempt Petraeus here).

I’ll say a prayer for your son – I’m glad the book is doing well.

Thanks for checking in.