Friday, August 12, 2005

In Praise Of Jane Fonda

(I know THAT title is going to get all of the Bushco sympathizers, neocon chickenhawks and dittoheads all in a lather. Good. Oh, and by the way, they could actually read about her first before they start banging away furiously on their keyboards if they want to.)

For anyone who doesn’t know this, Fonda is organizing a bus tour with families of soldiers currently serving in Iraq as well as returning service people (and boy, won’t THEY hear about that from their COs) to protest the Iraq war. I credit anyone trying to break through the flotsam of TV punditry, MSM non-coverage and Bushco propaganda and control methods in an effort to bring the true story of this epochal tragedy front and center.

Do I get angry when I recall her posing at that gun battery in 1972 while our brave service people like John McCain were getting tortured senseless, with Fonda spouting VC propaganda that they were being treated humanely? Next question.

However, here is my point. Much like in the case of Bill “I Did Not Have Sex With That Woman” Clinton, how long are we supposed to hate these people before we finally realize that they are genuinely sorry for having done wrong (or even Robert McNamara in later years)? Yes, I know it’s easy for me to ask that because I haven’t been personally affected by these people.

But I can tell you right now that I would ratchet down my anti-Bush fervor if I saw a molecule of contrition from these maniacs for their murderous actions (and that’s nowhere in sight, as we know). Of course, I suppose if Bush, Cheney, Rummy, etc. showed any realization of what they've done, it would hasten their appearance at a docket in The Hague facing a war crimes tribunal.

Besides, you can rest assured that if Fonda somehow gets cold feet and bails out of the bus tour, I will absolutely blast her for it.

No comments: