Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cup Countdown?

(Of course, I just jinxed everything with the title...sorry.)

I've had a couple of posts about the NHL strike and the release of John LeClair from the Flyers, so imagine my utter shock to see some of the moves Bob Clarke has made over the last couple of days to bring in veteran players. Derian Hatcher is a real warrior on defense who hopefully has a good year or two left in the tank, and I like Mike Rathje as what they call a "stay at home" defenseman, but I absolutely cannot believe that the Flyers signed Peter Forsberg today! I hate to see Jeremy Roenick go, but I'll take the former over the latter.

Clarke has traded away an entire team full of young players, which has made me want to absolutely throttle him at times (including Jeff Woywitka and Jim Vandermeer, which will bite the Flyers oneday), but I have to give him kudos for these moves. It fills some holes in this team in a huge way for now.

(Hey, like I said below, Dubya is on vacation, so that limits the possibilities for topic content. Besides, this is big stuff around here.)

No comments: