Sunday, December 31, 2017

Sunday Stuff


Joy Reid talks with Michael Beschloss about this horrible recent interview given by Generalissimo Trump with Michael Schmidt of the New York Times (more here, here, and here)…



…and I have to admit that I’m still pondering these recent words from Howard Dean about the Democratic Party fielding younger political candidates (here); yes, I think he has a point, but I wonder if some of this isn’t to keep people like Bernie quiet – yes, he’s in his 70s, but so is Dear Leader, remember? And I believe that when Bernie talks, his supporters don’t hear a septuagenarian…they hear someone speaking to the issues that matter to them (and I don't believe that Dean included Elizabeth Warren in the list of potential candidates; if so, I think that's an interesting omission)…


…and I think Kyle has some of the names of the Koch Brothers messed up (Bill?), but yeah, I think that video of the Koch son is beyond parody…can’t blame Kyle for being a bit flummoxed here (NSFW)…



…and what the hell – I might as well close the year with another installment of Hasan Piker vs. Ben Shapiro, because why not (NSFW again...and I still think it’s unintentionally funny to hear men talk about abortion – if we got pregnant instead of women, there would be so many “morning after” pills on the market you wouldn’t be able to turn around without seeing an ad for at least one of them, and in Maxim Magazine and on ESPN of course.)…


…and when it comes to milestones, I know I’ve recognized some notable departures, but let’s now recognize the opposite, and that would be the recent 70th birthday of Jeff Lynne



…and every year, it gets more and more challenging to do this – I wish I had a nickel when I thought to myself, “Hey, I’d like to do a blog post like I used to do on this subject instead of putting up a video instead,” but that’s pretty much impossible anymore; if circumstances ever change somehow and I CAN do that again, I certainly will. And sometimes, I barely have time to find the video for the topic I want, but fortunately, there is usually someone on our side of the political spectrum doing that and I can find something.

Now as always, all I’m trying to do here is promote informed dialogue somehow, however imperfectly I go about trying to do that.

And with that boring “meta” stuff out of the way, I’d like to thank anyone who has spent any time at this site whatsoever over the past year, and I wish you all good things in 2018, a year in which we will have our work cut out for us like never before, but also one where we could reap huge rewards too. It’s up to us (a theme echoed in the birthday video for Patti Smith to close out 2017).

No comments: