Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sunday Stuff


I have a question – am I supposed to be in mourning for this guy?

Because, just to let you know, I’m not.

Yes, give Jerry Lewis credit for raising $2.6 billion to fight Muscular Dystrophy, a truly mind-boggling sum, as noted here.

But as far as I’m concerned, he wasn’t funny. This business about him supposedly being some kind of a comedy god is some of the most preposterous nonsense I’ve ever heard. And yes, I get it that humor is completely subjective – there are people out there who will never get Monty Python, for example, and that doesn’t mean that my sense of humor is better than theirs. It just means that they’re different, that’s all.

Here is how I look at it, though: Pratfalls? Mugging for the camera? Any idiot can do that.

Oh, and there’s this:
Jerry Lewis criticized President Obama and praised Donald Trump in an interview on World Over with Raymond Arroyo; the iconic comedian also slammed the Syrian refugee program, telling Arroyo “refugees should stay where the hell they are.”

“No one has worked harder for the human condition than I have, but they’re not part of the human condition,” Lewis continued. “If 11 guys in the group of 10,000 are ISIS, how can I take the chance? I don’t want to lose another Frenchman or another Englishman. That bothers me.”
“No one has worked harder for the human condition than I have”? Really? Throughout all of recorded history?

More than, say, Mother Teresa? Jonas Salk? Gregor Mendel? Saint Augustine?

And refugees “should stay where the hell they are”? Gee, it’s a good thing nobody took that advice prior to, say, the Industrial Revolution, or else many millions including your humble narrator probably wouldn’t be here. Oh, but they’re “not part of the human condition,” so why bother, right?

And according to World Nut Daily (here), Lewis said that President Obama was a “failed leader.”

What a clown. And I don’t mean that in terms of the comedic arts…

…but here is somebody who just left us REALLY worthy of tribute as far as I’m concerned; RIP Dick Gregory (I may feature another clip or two with him this week)…


…and on a more positive note, kudos to everyone in Boston who stood tall yesterday (here – good one by comedian George Wallace)…


…and K.O. is out once more with another “past is prologue” thing featuring the late columnist Art Buchwald…



…and yeah, I need to get back to my summer tunes, including this one.

No comments: