Friday, August 22, 2008

Will Obama-Rama Meet The “Biden Boogaloo”?

Yes, I know this stuff is really trite at this point, but I just want to add some thoughts before that text message supposedly goes out from Obama naming his selection (though it may be delayed as John W. McBush continues to count his houses – also, how laughable is it to me that people like Tim Kaine and Evan Bayh actually received serious consideration?).

The “conventional wisdom” seems to be congealing around Joe Biden, who (as I noted here) is sound on foreign policy, as well as our infrastructure needs (here), but (as I noted here and here...some repetition, I know) brings some baggage that could present some issues in this campaign (though he really came through for Obama in a big way here). Also, a tipoff to me is when BoBo starts “concern trolling” on Biden’s behalf, as he does here today.

But my concern has, as far as I can read, gone unexpressed elsewhere, so I’ll state it plainly here; I’m afraid the Dems are getting ready to kiss off the Hispanic vote again (sorry to go all Ruben Navarrette, Jr. on you, but I feel I have to).

As much as I detest the Repugs, I grudgingly have to admit that they know how to win elections (though actually having to govern after they do so is highly problematic, as history tells us). And they know who they can rely on in November, and even though the numbers definitely don’t portend in their favor, they still – in spite of everything – have enough bedrock support to make this a horse race.

And my nightmare is that they gather enough of those people, plus too much of a slice of the Hispanic vote that feels slighted by the Dems, to elect John W. McBush.

And if anyone out there doesn’t think they’re going to be “in play,” I would suggest you take a look at this photo; this is what happens when “the call goes out” to protest more Repug nonsense on denying a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants (this took place in Dallas).

Now imagine half to a third of those people voting Republican. And imagine that scene played out primarily across the southwest.

Are you starting to get the same bad feeling that I am, people?

And Biden does nothing to help you reach them; if anything, we’ll end up hearing that quote about Indians running convenience stores from the Repugs and their media acolytes as proof of Biden’s supposed insensitivity to diversity. Also, if Biden gets it, get ready to learn all about a guy named Neil Kinnock, whether you want to or not (see "1987 General Election").

I wouldn’t say this if the Dems didn’t have a highly qualified candidate to solidify support among Hispanics, by the way (and I know you know I’m talking about Bill Richardson). But, though Biden neutralizes McBush on foreign policy, his state only delivers six electoral votes that Obama would win anyway.

And as far as this business goes about Obama trying to win the “blue-collar, ‘Bubba’ vote,” I say screw ‘em. If they actually want to give the hammer to McBush that Dubya was using so they can get beaten over the head for four more years, then they deserve what they get as far as I’m concerned.

I just have this sick feeling that the Dems may be blowing a huge opportunity by naming Biden. And you can’t imagine how much I want to be proven wrong.

No comments: