Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Little Late For Sanctions

I thought this was a good analysis of Dubya’s latest attempt to do something about the Darfur crisis; an agreement was brokered by new World Bank head Bob Zoellick last May between the Sudanese Liberation Army and the government backing the janjaweed militia (as noted here), but it fell apart.

Also, I’m not trying to make a case that the issues behind this catastrophe are simplistic; they are anything but that. But when you’re talking about a crisis that has claimed the lives of possibly 300,000 people, to me, that calls for some type of action, and the whys and wherefores can be examined at another time.

If we really want Sudanese president Omar al Bashir to stop acting like a terrorist, however, I think this column from the Times of London provides a much better idea (trying to get a resolution on this past China would be almost impossible, but I think a battle like this must be fought anyway).

No comments: