Monday, November 27, 2006

Victims Of Intolerance

I spent a few minutes earlier today at the web site of the Chronicle (newspaper of San Francisco) and found no mention of the fact that today is the 28th anniversary of the murders of former San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone by former Supervisor Dan White (there is a gay and lesbian link from the site’s home page, but I am currently blocked from it, so there may have been mention there – a long story that I’d better not get into…I’ll double check tonight). Moscone’s death had the quite unintended effect of boosting the political career of Dianne Feinstein, former President of the Board of Supervisors and currently a U.S. Senator from California.

I would strongly suggest viewing the excellent documentary “The Times of Harvey Milk” to get a better understanding of this story and everything that led up to it. That would do more justice to the memories of both of these men than anything else I could say here.

No comments: