Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Try "Rue De La Cop Killer"

I don’t side with the wingers on much of anything, but I do on this issue.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported this morning that a Paris suburb is going to name a street after Mumia Abu-Jamal, the convicted murderer of police officer Daniel Faulkner.

The article accessible from here will communicate to you why that is a sick joke.

I know it’s wrong to lambaste the French solely over this, as well as the fact that some of these clods embraced Ira Einhorn also, convicted of the murder of onetime girlfriend Holly Maddux (do they LIKE murderers from this area?), but I’ll admit that the temptation can be overwhelming. That doesn’t mean we should give into it, though…after all, the Statue of Liberty was a gift from that nation, and one of their greatest architects, Pierre Charles L’Enfant, designed Washington, D.C. (and you could go down a long list of other French notables to acknowledge and appreciate their contributions to our country and our way of life).

But granting this kind of notoriety to Abu-Jamal on top of that which his currently enjoys (wrongly) is twisted and sick (and I don’t care how many lefty notables support him – all of them happen to be wrong).

One more thing, for what it's worth: you may or may not remember that, some months ago, I supported Stanley "Tookie" Williams in his fight against execution because of what he had done while in prison to try and keep kids out of gangs, as well as questions regarding his original conviction; I thought he should never see the light of day again, but his life should have been spared (of course, we know what happened).

I know of no such contribution to keep kids out of a life of crime, sense of remorse or anything approaching contrition from Mumia Abu-Jamal (I suppose that would acknowledge his guilt). And I don't expect that I ever will (and despite what Mumia's followers would have you believe, there are no questions regarding his original conviction either).

No comments: