Thursday, April 06, 2006

Tomfoolery

This has nothing whatsoever to do with politics, but I need to vent about this. Basically, I’ve seriously had it with this guy.

First he does that weird leap onto Oprah Winfrey’s couch. Then he trashes people who use medications for conditions related to depression or mental illness. We also find out that a stuntman was burned during the filming of “Mission: Impossible 3”.

Next, we discover that Katie Holmes is going to end up birthing her baby as part of some weird ritual with Scientology elders in the delivery room while she’s supposed to resist screaming out (and of course, she is supposed to be denied medication also…that will all be fun I’m sure – no wonder Nicole Kidman split, but that’s on Holmes as far as I’m concerned).

Now, Cruise has to announce to the world that he was abused by his father.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!

Ooohh, poor baby Tom. Somehow I think people have endured a lot worse than what you’ve had to put up with and still managed to live full, productive lives in spite of it. Besides, you’ve got what…a gazillion freaking dollars and every conceivable perk a human being could ever want? I would say that things have somehow still worked out for you, right?

This is more the fault of the media than anyone else (as well as people who pay attention to this stuff, and I would not be one of them if it weren’t for the fact that I hear about this guy EVERY SINGLE STINKING TIME that I log onto a web site that is ostensibly supposed to be about actual news).

I didn’t see “Collateral,” “War Of The Worlds,” “The Last Samurai” or “Vanilla Sky,” and I couldn’t get through “Eyes Wide Shut.” I did see the first “Mission: Impossible,” “Legend” (a guilty pleasure, I know), and “Born On The Fourth Of July,” where Cruise played disabled Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic (the Academy Award Best Actor nomination for his great work is probably as close as he will ever come to receiving that statuette).

While we receive every conceivable, possible, ridiculous detail of his life and that of other celebrities, we of course do NOT learn about legitimate news in other areas of this country and the world instead. I know this is an old gripe, but I have to make it.

Tell you what – let’s not hear anything else about this guy until the kids are born and the movie is released, OK?

(Sigh…I can dream, can’t I?)

No comments: