Friday, April 07, 2006

Reality Intrudes, Thankfully

I’ve been thinking about this woman’s face most of the morning. She is the person who sat next to Harry Taylor when he confronted Dubya on his domestic spying (and of course, Dubya then subsequently went into his song and dance about trying to capture terrorists, totally ignoring the fact that he’s thumbing his nose at the FISA, as well as the ridiculous charge that Congress granted him the right and knew what he was doing all along).

In other employment, I should point out that I once discussed the possibility of relocation to Charlotte, NC with my management. I’m sure the cost of living was lower in that area, and I knew people who rented homes here, bought a single in Charlotte for less money and built up some equity, and then relocated back to this area and bought a single with the money they made off selling their home in Charlotte. It sounded like a sweet deal (this was during those Clinton years when everything was so awful of course, or so the Repugs would have you believe).

But though I’m sure there are a lot of great people in Charlotte and North Carolina generally, I couldn’t get past my memory of journeying through the deep South in August of 1968 when I was young (and believe me, you don’t know what heat and humidity is until you’ve spent time near the vicinity of Fort Bragg that time of year) and witnessing the Confederate flags draped across the front porches, with the good ol’ boys gathered and glaring in our direction as we drove past, having no doubt noted our Pennsylvania license plate. The fact that this state had returned Jesse Helms to the U.S. Senate over and over again played heavily on my mind also. That had a lot to do with my decision to stay put (I probably lost out financially, but I preserved my peace of mind).

Well, apparently, many of those people from the porches who (I’m sure) voted for Helms and/or other like-minded individuals were gathered to hear Dubya perform his circus act. And somehow, Harry Taylor had gotten through the crowd, which I’m sure was “vetted” heavily, and had his “Four Freedoms” moment.

And the crowd booed (as reflected in the shocked, embarrassed – why? – expression on this woman’s face).

I could hurl more insults at these red state life forms, but why bother? They are resolute in their stupidity, invincible in their ignorance. I can’t reach these people. I’d have better luck reading a book on quantum physics aloud to a pile of rocks.

In my way, I’m trying to preserve what this country is all about. Others have bigger “shoutboxes” and better means at their disposal, and they’re trying hard also. The reason is because it is all slowly slipping away from us.

Those people in Charlotte who booed Harry Taylor don’t understand that. And they never will.

No comments: