Wednesday, April 12, 2006

"Egging On" The Freepers

I’m going to try and interject some common sense into this whole situation (silly me). I’m referring to the supposed “War on Easter” that is taking place in this country (of course, right-wing sites such as WorldNetDaily are all in a typical uproar over it – as I’ve said before, these people would have nothing to do without a “war” of one type or another).

When individuals such as Tyrone Terrill, the human rights director of the St. Paul, MN City Council (a city council needs a human rights director?) decided that the “Happy Easter” sign should be taken down, he was thinking about one thing and one thing only: the potential to be sued by a group of people that chooses not to recognize the holiday.

He wasn’t doing it to spite anybody. He wasn’t doing it to earn the wrath of knuckle-dragging fire breathers such as Bill O’Reilly (who, of course, is engaging in typical behavior).

I’m a Christian, and I most certainly recognize the holiday. But if a Happy Easter sign is taken down on a public building, I DON’T CARE!

Diversity, as most of us know by now, is the way of the world, especially in this country where many people come legally and obtain citizenship to work (like most other things, this is ultimately about money, in the end). And in the name of that, I’ll trade the “sacrifice” I have to make of someone deciding not to display a “Happy Easter” sign versus many of the hardships people coming to this country of other faiths have had to endure to make a life for themselves.

(Note: This argument has nothing to do with offshoring of jobs. I’m talking about people who COME HERE LEGALLY, as opposed to illegals and others who arrive for a few months at a time, learn how to do a job, and then return home taking the job with them.)

No comments: