Friday, April 14, 2006

Digging Your Own Grave 101

I read about two pages of Sy Hersh's New Yorker story on what Bushco has in mind for Iran, and it was so unbelievable that I had to put it down. I swear, I feel like we're all living in a Stanley Kubrick movie (irony, dread, humor, war, horror, death, etc.). If, God help us, any of the nightmare scenarios depicted in Hersh's story come to hideous fruition, my only hope is that James Jay ("Nuke 'Em") Carofano ends up flying the plane that delivers the bomb and ends up getting evaporated along with everything else after he delivers the payload.

Well, no sooner do I log on, but I come across this item (looks like the coward Ahmadinejad, with the emphasis on "mad," has every intention of doing exactly what the Bushies want).

I guess the only thing we can do, aside from praying that no one gets annihilated somehow and thus spurring an increase in terrorism worldwide (and as always, remembering our service people and doing what we can to help, especially now at the time of a holiday) is to contact our politicians and tell them as strongly as we can that we want to see this standoff resolved through international cooperation and thus prevent the "Crawford cowboy" from doing anything else that's particularly stupid before he himself asks God in his way if he did the right thing.

And speaking of the holiday, I should point out that posting will be very sporadic for the next few days, and whether you observe Easter or not, I hope you are able to spend some quality time reconnecting with your families and friends (and last week's "Real Time" Update is coming, I promise; I'm still assembling my information, but I can tell you that Joe Biden, one of the panelists, came off very well).

Update 4/17: In my response to commenter Astral, I said that the Palestinians should be accountable also (and how is something like this "justified"?).

1 comment:

doomsy said...

I don't have the historical background to question accurately some of what you've stated in your thoughtful comment, but from what I vaguely recall, Palestine was chosen to be partitioned by the British after WW II for a state of Israel because the area that was chosen was thought for a time to be uninhabitable. Also, the latest stories I see from that region have to do with Israelis giving back land for peace, which to me is a concession by Olmert (sp?) that they are outnumbered and are, more than anything else, trying to survive at this point. Also, I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned by your apparent desire to absolve the Palestinians of their own wrongdoing. However, I do conceed your point that "establishing a Jewish state in the middle of Arab populations" certainly lacked foresight at the time (post WWII), though I think it's wrong to blame present-day Israelis for that fact.

I should emphasize that I will probably be forever trying to learn more on this, which is one of the reasons I generally avoid posting on matters affecting that area of the world. However, Ahmadinejad's conduct is compelling me to do so. It is long past time for him to start acting like a legitimate leader of a sovereign nation and address his concerns appropriately through the U.N. or other communities of nations. If he were to articulate his concerns as thoughtfully as you have, the world could take a deep breath and the insanity on both sides might relent in favor of intelligent discussion.

Thanks for checking in.