Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Suddenly, I'm Not Laughing

We can focus on the latest idiotic remarks from Pat Robertson about God supposedly telling him to ask a woman about her sex life as part of a supposed miracle cure for her asthma (via the Huffington Post), but instead, I’d like to focus on what Robertson said later in the interview.

(CBS Correspondent Rita Braver, asking Robertson about his presidential bid in 1988): Do you think that the world just-- that this country just wasn't ready for someone with such a close association with religion?

PR: I don't think there's any question about that. But I-- I felt at the time that I might be an heir of Ronald Reagan. I-- I shared his-- points of view about the-- the economy, about-- strong defense, about-- strength against-- Communism and these other things-- free enterprise, etcetera-- and the moral values.

My race for the Presidency-- I didn't do all that bad for an amateur, you know. I beat the sitting Vice President in a number of states. But nevertheless-- when it was all over with, I had mobilized 300,000 plus people in about 35 states.

And that became the core of the Christian Coalition, which in turn became a very highly visible part of the-- Republican Party, and perhaps has been major-- major influence in winning the Congress for the Republicans and maybe putting a born again Christian in the White House. So I was sort of a forerunner of-- of a-- of a group that was given a voice.

RB: You-- you helped form the Co-- Christian Coalition. Then you sort of—

PR: That's right.

RB: --stepped away from it.

PR: Right.

RB: But why?

PR: Well I'd-- I'd had enough. We-- we had accomplished our goals. We had a 10 year set of goals. And we-- we got every one of them. The only one we didn't get is the Supreme Court, and we're-- we're only one judge short of that. (LAUGHTER) So I think-- the Congress conservative, a-- a majority of governorships conservative, a born again Christian in the White House, and-- so-- I-- I had done what I set out to do.
Do you want to know something?

The “whack job” is right (and nonsense such as this is part of his sickening legacy…these people practice no “religion” that I know or want to be part of in any way).

No comments: