Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Wednesday Roundup

Atrios and Think Progress introduced us to Jeb Bush’s imaginary conservative, sword-wielding pal “Chang” yesterday (yes, I’m serious)…Armando at The Daily Kos informs us that Max Baucus of Montana is going to vote for confirming John Roberts, and thus whipsaw Harry Reid for his courageous stand (and even Pat Leahy of Vermont is caving…yeesh!)....Kos and Atrios both report today on Bill Frist’s insider trading (hey “Senator HCA,” do you know where I can get a few shares of Amalgamated Greed, Deceit and Hypocrisy?).

Also, Atrios and Media Matters present this choice item from the one and only Bill O’Reilly (addressing any lefty bloggers out there)…

…most Americans loathe these people. They loathe them. And they are very loathe-able. These creepy, little website people are just, I mean, it makes my stomach turn. And that's the truth. I don't like the right-winger nuts either. But the left-wingers have reached new lows.
Oh, bless your pointy little head, Bill. Can you please send me some more copies of, “The O’Reilly Factor For Kids,” by the way? I need them for my cat’s litterbox. Thanks ever so much.

And John Edwards (echoing Armando) reminds us why supporting Roberts is a mistake (Specter has already gone on record as saying he supports him, and I'm not even going to waste my time with "one of the greatest minds of the 13th century," as Tom Ferrick of the Inquirer refers to him).

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is the most important judge on the most important court in our country, responsible for protecting and upholding the rights and freedoms outlined in our Constitution. I have carefully reviewed Judge John Roberts' testimony and listened to him give unsubstantial, boilerplate answers and avoid answering even the most basic questions about his own views today.

Based on everything I have seen and read from Judge Roberts' work in the Reagan Administration, his past opinions, and his most recent testimony, I wanted you to be the first to know that I must oppose his nomination to be our country's Chief Justice.

I do so because we do know the views and positions he took prior to the recent hearings. Judge Roberts opposed efforts to remedy discrimination on the basis of sex and race. He opposed measures to protect voting rights. He denigrated the right to privacy and a woman's right to choose. He wanted to allow Congress to strip away courts' jurisdiction over controversial subjects.

Although he has presented himself as a supporter of judicial restraint, I do not see enough evidence that Judge Roberts would show restraint when his own political commitments are at stake. In light of his past positions, I believe he had an affirmative obligation to make the case to those who might confirm him that he repudiates the positions that he had previously advocated in his professional career. He made a choice and refused to meet that obligation. I cannot support someone who I am not convinced will preserve the liberties and freedoms that are enshrined in our Constitution and our laws.

Please join me in fighting for the principles and values that each of us cherish. Contact your Senators and tell them to vote no on Judge Roberts' nomination.

John
Update 1: Regarding Katrina, can you say whitewash?

Update 2: Molly Ivins brings us a bunch of stories we should have heard about, but didn't.

Update 3: David Sirota is really shrill with this one, but guess what? He's right (again), and so is Cenk.

No comments: