Monday, September 19, 2005

He Knows About Pricks, Doesn’t He?

(Read whatever you want to into that title…I’m not “the thought police”.)

This story is simply unbelievable to me. I guess what is most shocking is that this lady named Debbie Sybert is apparently the only one who complained.

Suppose one of these kids had been a hemophiliac. He could have bled to death right there. What would this Rev. Arthur Michalka have done then? What purpose did that idiotic exercise serve?

Our Lord did not have his finger pricked, according to The New Testament gospels. He had his hands nailed to a cross. I’d say that was just a bit more painful than a pinprick.

As long as I’m on this subject, though, let me point something out. Most Catholics are hard-working, devout people, like hard-working, devout people of other faiths. I realize that “normal” people usually don’t do anything to merit a news headline, so it’s easy to forget that. I’m just stating that so everyone knows it the next time a Catholic screwup of one type of severity or another turns into a front-page story.

Between goofballs like this reverend and any one of a number of Repugs who proclaim themselves to be Catholics, I generally despair for my faith at times, though it makes it all the more urgent to try and put things right however I can.

No comments: