Friday, August 19, 2005

Kudos To The Birthday Boy

Dear President Clinton:

Congratulations on celebrating your 59th birthday today. I and much of the world commend you for your work with former President Bush to aid the Tsunami victims in Southeast Asia and everything you’ve done in the fight against AIDS in Africa. I personally wish to extend good wishes also to your family: Senator Hillary Clinton of New York and your lovely daughter Chelsea.

I have added a link from The Onion concerning the administration of the individual who has followed after you to provide a bit of amusement. I have to admit, however, that though it was funny at the time it first appeared, the sad, pathetic turn of events that has followed under his watch, thus actually realizing some of what is being parodied, has dissipated the humor a bit.

At this time, I have been reflecting on your years in the White House, and I have to say that I cannot recall in my lifetime a greater period of prosperity. That was brought about as a result of your team, including treasury secretary Robert Rubin, but it was also a result of beneficial developments beyond your influence (that is, the development of personal computers and the job growth spurred by the Y2K situation). It must be disheartening to see all of the good work of your administration squandered by the group that followed you.

In the wake of 9/11, you were criticized by some for either not pursuing Osama bin Laden aggressively enough during your term of office. Though it has come to light that some questionable intelligence was used to pursue him after the African embassy bombings, I believe you were diligent in attempting to bring him to justice (assuming you could trust the Taliban anyway...besides, 9/11 didn’t take place on your watch). As you have pointed out, the only terrorist attack that took place under your administration for which no one was brought to justice was the bombing of the U.S.S. Cole, and that was due in large part to the fact that we do not have an extradition treaty with South Yemen, the country sheltering the suspects. This is opposed to the Bush Administration that followed you, which to date has not obtained a single conviction for the 9/11 attacks (a German court acquitted a suspect in the attacks today, and three al Qaeda members are currently on trial in Spain for the attacks as well.)

I have to also say that, though I have not completed reading “My Life” yet, I have found it to be enjoyable, illuminating, and well written. Also, I wish you good luck with your foundation (a link appears on this site).

Once again, I wish to extend to you the very best. Please follow your doctor’s advice closely and maintain your good health, partly because we hope to see you continually on the world stage for some time to come.

No comments: