Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Thanksgiving "Charity" From "Blow 'Em Up" Bolton

The New York Times Magazine’s Deborah Solomon conducted an interview with former U.N. antagonist and neocon maniac representative John Bolton last Sunday (based on the article from here, though, I have to wonder about the timing of the questions and the manner in which the interview was edited). And if you guessed that the interview was timed to coincide with the release of Bolton’s new book, then you win a commemorate model of the U.N. building with the top 10 stories missing.

There is so much in this garbage that could be refuted by the answers that we all know so well, but I want to take note of one item in particular…

Your book includes a personal anecdote about a turkey you returned to a supermarket, right before you went back to Florida as one of the lawyers for the Bush team after the election in 2000. It was Thanksgiving Day. My wife and daughter wanted a Thanksgiving dinner, and they didn’t want to eat the turkey because God knows when I was coming back from Florida. So I went back to the Safeway and exchanged it.

Why didn’t you just give the turkey to someone? Well, who are we going to give it to? Here, you want a turkey?
Yeah, something like that, you asshat.

See, John, apparently some of you winger zealots and other self-styled “Christians” aren’t familiar with the whole “reaching out to those in need” thing (there’s this word called “donate,” see). Fortunately for you in this case, other people are.

What could you have done? Well, you could have contacted a food service agency of some type online and found out contact information so you could have given the turkey to a family who needed it for the holiday. Either that, or you could have done the decent, honorable thing and at least, after returning the turkey, made a donation to a food service agency for the equivalent cash amount.

In our area, here is a link to Philabundance and here is a link to the NJ Food Bank (here is a link to Bread For The World and here is a link to World Hunger Year). You could do some reading about this online, John, to get some ideas of where and how to donate.

And I apologize for “contaminating” what passes for your thought processes by informing you of how real people live in the real world, as opposed to your comfortable Beltway confines. How silly of me not to realize that you enjoy bemoaning about imaginary problems as opposed to ever trying to solve real ones.

2 comments:

David Stefanini said...

Hi, I love how you are running this blog. I just started a blog of my own and I was wondering if you would like to do a link exchange with my site. My site can be found at:

Absolutesportsreport.blogspot.com

If you want to do this, just leave a comment on my site, on any post, and I’ll link you later that night.

Thanks,
Dave

doomsy said...

You got it - thanks.