Monday, October 15, 2007

Dubya's Toke(n) Draft

As Jeralyn of Talk Left tells us here, Incurious George recently relaxed restrictions on eligibility for those convicted of drug offenses to serve in the military. However, no such restrictions have been loosened for students convicted of similar offenses so they could receive student aid for college.

I’ll admit that I didn’t know exactly the position of John Edwards on drugs, but what follows is important information on this issue (from here):

• Help convicts with drug counseling & job counseling. (Jun 2007)
• Supports drug courts and alternatives to incarceration. (Mar 2004)
• Disparity in penalty for crack vs. powder is not justified. (Jan 2004)
• Admits having smoked marijuana. (Nov 2003)
• Voted NO on increasing penalties for drug offenses. (Nov 1999)
• Rated B- by VOTE-HEMP, indicating a pro-hemp voting record. (Dec 2003)
I don’t know how Edwards feels about denial of student aid for relatively minor drug convictions based on the 1998 Act, so I sent him a message about it a few minutes ago.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

No comments: