Friday, August 31, 2007

A Corporate Media Request

Yes, I know that this marks the 10th anniversary of the beginning of one of the most obscene media orgies I, for one, have ever witnessed (and I don’t mean to trivialize the related human tragedy that touched the whole world by saying so).

I have not forgotten that Princess Diana died on August 31, 1997.

Given that, and the attention that it has generated today, I would ask in my humility and naïveté that every time an event, circumstance, or political/social/economic development of one type or another is reported affecting this country and the world, it is covered as thoroughly as Diana’s death.

I’d like to see a pro and con analysis of the policies on health coverage in this country, the economy, the environment, refugee crises throughout the world (and attendant to that, the Iraq war, of course), provided with the same depth and clarity which illuminated the fact that Henri Paul had consumed the equivalent of a medicine cabinet full of drugs before he totaled the Mercedes-Benz carrying Prince Charles’ ex, along with Dodi Fayed and Trevor Rees-Jones, inside the Pont d’Alma road tunnel.

I’d like to see the politicians of both of our political parties given the same analysis and scrutiny as was devoted to the conspiracy theories about the deaths of the three victims in the car that night (Rees-Jones survived, though not without extensive facial surgeries).

And I’d like to see the same heartfelt sentiment among all of us through our participation as citizens in our government (and never forget that it is our government), including a lively, informed, intelligent debate about the issues that affect our lives and those of our families, as was witnessed by the outpouring of flowers, songs, tears and reminiscences after the demise of the former Lady Diana Spencer.

If we’re really interested in paying tribute to her memory, I think that would be a good way to start.

No comments: