Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What, No Mitt? Roger Simon Will Cry!

(re: the “man-crush” of the year so far…)

I’d like to make some points about the poll mentioned here that has just been released showing that John McCain and Rudy Giuliani would defeat Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in a head-to-head presidential matchup (I was going to blow it off, but it was noted by Kos, so…).

(I won't comment for now on the absurd perception that McCain is some kind of "moderate," by the way.)

First of all, the poll was commissioned by the Philadelphia Daily News with Keystone Politics of PA. Keystone are the geniuses who noted that Mike Fitzpatrick was leading Patrick Murphy by 9 points in the closing days of the campaign this year, and they arrived at this calculation by including a candidate who had dropped out of the race (the name escapes me at the moment, and I have not been able to determine who he is through a couple of Google searches).

Second, the poll was conducted by G. Terry Madonna of Franklin and Marshall College, who I assume is qualified enough in these things, but it would be nice if we had another person and/or another service conducting these polls from time to time – I don’t think it’s a good situation for our news organizations to go to one person automatically in these matters since anybody can have a bias of one type or another, and that is what always happens. I’m not trying to malign Madonna; it’s just human nature.

Third, there is no mention given at all to John Edwards, though I know Edwards is generally polling low against Clinton and Obama at the moment.

But really, it’s way too early for this stuff anyway.

(And by the way, here's more "straight talk" from McCain...)

No comments: