Tuesday, December 12, 2006

We Happy Few

This doesn’t have anything to do with national politics or the Bush administration, but I just wanted to point it out anyway.

I had the opportunity to attend a gathering of local area Democrats last night at the fire hall in Lower Makefield, PA, and I appreciated the fact that I was so warmly welcomed by individuals such as Jeanne Bray, Assembly District Chair for District 31, as well as Jason Simon of Lower Makefield; I should point out that District 31 represents Lower Makefield, Yardley Borough and Newtown Township, among other areas. For anyone who reads the Bucks County Courier Times on a somewhat regular basis, particularly the Letters to the Editor, I should note that there were a lot of familiar names in attendance.

The occasion was a party for everyone who had worked so hard on the recent campaign that had helped Patrick Murphy and Bob Casey achieve victory in their congressional campaigns, though Chris Serpico came up short by a few thousand votes against Chuck McIlhinney in the race for PA State Senate, and Mike Diamond (who also appeared) came up short by about the same margin I believe against Dave Steil for PA State Representative (I’m sorry I didn’t do more for Mike during the campaign; the oversight definitely wasn’t intentional).

(And by the way, for anyone who thinks the Bucks County PA Democratic Party has a wad of dough to spend on these types of affairs, I should point out that the fare consisted of finger food such as veggies and dip and various sweets along with beer and soda. This isn’t a complaint; I’m just mentioning this to note that we’d rather spend our money on trying to win elections.)

In addition to Jeanne and Jason, there were a whole bunch of other people who spoke with me about what the local area Democratic Party is trying to achieve next year, notably Lower Makefield supervisor Greg Caiola and supervisors' chairman Steve Santarsiero.

I’m mentioning this to say thanks and also to point out the fact that the party is always in need of more people who want to help promote open government and make a difference in our community. If you live in Bucks County, PA and would like more information, click here to view a list of party contacts who can help you.

No comments: