Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mining Not Truth, But Delusion

I never miss a chance to read Michael Smerconish’s posts at HuffPo (or to at least scan over them) and then read him getting eviscerated in the comments. Often, it makes my day.

His latest gripe is over his recent attendance at a Roger Waters concert in which Waters – gasp! horrors! – made comments of a political nature that Smerconish didn’t like, which prompted him to start heckling Waters.

I mean, he had to, right? How dare Waters exercise a measure of free speech! I mean, that’s an automatic excuse to start acting like a bully and an oaf, isn’t it?

And to think, Smerconish actually wrote a book complaining about “political correctness.” I would point out that “one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor” when it comes to that, but I’m sure he wouldn’t bother to try and understand.

So, as a tribute to Smerconish, I hereby offer this (apologies to Pink Floyd, of course)…

So, do you think you can tell
Smerky’s mad, just as well
It’s a tired refrain
Censorship of free speech is beyond the pale. So why does he rail?
Don’t you think he can tell

For a concert he paid his hero the most
But Waters displeased, so he’s no longer “the bees knees”
How come Smerky changed? His love for Dubya’s deranged
Iraq has soured from war with our service people in a cage

How I wish, how I wish you weren’t here
From the “kool aid” he chugs shilling for the Repugs
Year after year
Smerky argues adroit, but what he seeks to exploit
Are the same old fears
I wish you weren’t here
And for Waters, I wish to add only this: Shine on you Crazy Diamond!

No comments: