Monday, May 08, 2006

Bitter Medicine

I can tell how enamored the Inquirer editorial board is with Bob Casey, Jr. based on this endorsement, not unlike the child being forced to take a liquid antibiotic (still catching up from yesterday on my end…typical for most Mondays).

I’ll be fair by noting that Casey has really gotten it together with his web site and has come out on the right side of a host of Democratic boilerplate issues, as the editorial states. And though I’m unhappy about his automatic opposition to gun control (which really is required if you expect to get any voters at all between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in this state), I’m more concerned about his anti-choice stance (and his stance on stem cell research, which I guess you could call “nuanced, but still hopeful”).

I’m also highly concerned about the fact that Scumbag Santorum has managed to close the gap between him and Casey to single digits by not doing a lot, which I and a lot of other people KNEW would happen (and the Repug slime machine really hasn’t even cranked up yet). This is what takes place when you run an invisible campaign.

I realize this is rehashing, but I’m bringing this up because of (again) the Inquirer’s dismissive attitude towards Casey’s primary challengers (specifically Chuck Pennacchio) with this:

He (Pennacchio) views the living wage as the solution to many of the world's problems.
Is that all the substance you guys can muster, or is it more important to maintain the “dingbat college professor forays into politics” narrative?

And how’s this for a final jab of a closing?

If Pennsylvania Democrats want to capture that elusive Senate seat, their choice in the primary should be BOB CASEY JR. If they want someone who'll preach to the choir, but make few converts outside the congregation, they can pick one of the other guys.
More of that “go along to get along” attitude that has won SO MANY elections for the Democrats…

Sure it has (thanks, Inky).

Even though I just posted this a couple of days ago, I’ll link back again because I thought Judith Gordon made a convincing argument for Chuck. I know a primary win would take a miracle (5/9 note: pls disregard "miracle" per commenter...somehow I think we can do better than a max of 10 percent turnout here, people; substitute "halfway decent amount of votes for Chuck" instead) at this point, but it would make the victory even sweeter if somehow we could pull it off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't really take a miracle at all. Chuck has been polling at 4-5% of registered Dems since Nov 05. Which is exactly what he will need to win the primary since 8-10% of Democrats will actually vote in this election.

So get out there and canvass for him. Here in Luzerne County we've visited almost 2,000 Democrats (all of whom voted in the primary last year) in the past 10 days with only 3 volunteers!

doomsy said...

It would be nice if the Repugs and their sympathizers would give up on Little Ricky, but I don't see that happening especially since he's managed to knock down Casey's lead to single digits, primarily because Casey is an inept campaigner and generally a lousy candidate. The fact that people know so little about the positions he actually has is testimony to that.

I've also noticed Hillary Clinton "making nice" with Dubya for some reason (as well as that piece of human refuse Rupert Murdoch, as you noted). Doesn't this supposedly politically astute woman know that Dubya is a political casualty at this point? He's drowning. Don't give him a ladder - throw an anvil at him, for God's sake!

Ugh - I don't know how many times I can say this...VOTE FOR CHUCK VOTE FOR CHUCK VOTE FOR CHUCK VOTE FOR CHUCK VOTE FOR CHUCK VOTE FOR CHUCK !!!

Thanks for checking in.