Monday, May 29, 2017

Monday Stuff

Today marks what would have been the 100th birthday of President John F. Kennedy – Caroline Kennedy provided a remembrance here, concerning JFK’s legacy for his generation and beyond…



…and I think the best way to recall our 35th president is through one of his speeches, and I consider this to be one of his very best, and that was his “Peace” speech at American University in June 1963 (may have to slide back to the beginning)…



…and since it’s also Memorial Day of course, I give you the following (more here and here)…



...and I guess you could say this is "This Day In Doomsy History" once more, Memorial Day version, with this report from three years ago timed for the holiday - I guess this makes this the 10th anniversary of his wonderful tribute in Rockland, MA, though we all wish it hadn't been necessary of course (and this is a timely remembrance also - will forego name-calling about the life form responsible for the attack for now)...



…and I know I just put up a song by Bruce Cockburn a couple of days ago, but I just remembered this one, which he composed while witnessing what’s called a Ramp Ceremony at Camp Mirage near Kandahar Airfield for two fallen members of the Canadian forces some years ago…



…and I think it’s appropriate also to feature music by The Allman Brothers this week with the recent passing of Gregg Allman, beginning with this selection.

No comments: