Monday, May 29, 2017

Monday Stuff

Today marks what would have been the 100th birthday of President John F. Kennedy – Caroline Kennedy provided a remembrance here, concerning JFK’s legacy for his generation and beyond…



…and I think the best way to recall our 35th president is through one of his speeches, and I consider this to be one of his very best, and that was his “Peace” speech at American University in June 1963 (may have to slide back to the beginning)…



Update 9/2/17: Here is another important reminder for this occasion.

…and since it’s also Memorial Day of course, I give you the following (more here and here)…



...and I guess you could say this is "This Day In Doomsy History" once more, Memorial Day version, with this report from three years ago timed for the holiday - I guess this makes this the 10th anniversary of his wonderful tribute in Rockland, MA, though we all wish it hadn't been necessary of course (and this is a timely remembrance also - will forego name-calling about the life form responsible for the attack for now)...



…and I know I just put up a song by Bruce Cockburn a couple of days ago, but I just remembered this one, which he composed while witnessing what’s called a Ramp Ceremony at Camp Mirage near Kandahar Airfield for two fallen members of the Canadian forces some years ago…



…and I think it’s appropriate also to feature music by The Allman Brothers this week with the recent passing of Gregg Allman, beginning with this selection.

No comments: