Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Stuff

(I also posted here.)

(Also, this ended up being a pretty bad week for the congressional countdown – hopefully I’ll have better luck with it in the coming days.)

Until then, allow me to point out that I neglected to note that Wednesday was the 77th birthday of Social Security, as noted here; if – God help us – Willard Mitt Romney and Puppy-Dog-Eyes-Carrying-The-Shiv Paul Ryan have their way, it won’t see 78…



…and I’m sorry, but I’m goddamned angry about this; there was a time when this country, let alone the rest of the nations of the world, once gave a damn about human rights. But I guess that’s so “pre-9/11” of me, right?

As nearly as I can tell, there have been ZERO expressions of outrage from world leaders over the fact that the three young women in the story, who engaged in what probably was a juvenile prank and nothing more than that, will go to prison in protest of Vladimir Putin and his regime. And actually, by visiting his grotesque punishment on them, he has validated their protest against him more than the young women could have ever done on their own.

What else can you expect, I suppose, from a country where fearless journalists, speaking truth to the most heavy handed of power, end up martyred in darkly lit corners of dank stairwells in the rundown tenements where they live (execution style, just to make sure)?

I know this song is about this person, but I don’t care – it’s been running around in my head all day, so here it is (with no video…sorry not to end things for the week on a happier note, but there you are).

No comments: