Monday, October 03, 2011

Some Random Thoughts On Amanda Knox

I usually don’t post about stuff that’s as topical as the Amanda Knox case, of course, in which she and her boyfriend are now free from an appeal of the guilty verdict in Italy that originally convicted them both of the rape/murder of Knox’s roommate. However, I’m just going to say a word or two partly because I happened to be in the vicinity of CNN when the verdict was handed down, and also because I probably won’t have time today to post about much of anything else.

Also in the background was the radio, and I heard Smerky commenting on the case, having cut off his pundit bloviation so everyone could hear the verdict live. He must have been watching a cable news feed also, since he offered the following utterly witless observations, saying that the courtroom in Italy reminded him of the trial in “The Godfather Part 2” (particularly brainless since the “trial” in the movie was a Congressional hearing in Washington, D.C.), and our intrepid pundit also said “Did you notice the crucifix behind the judge’s bench” or words to that effect (uh, we’re talking about Italy, where the Catholic Church has just a bit of a presence, you nematode).

If Knox and her boyfriend are truly innocent, then I’m happy for them both. I’m also sad for the family and friends of the victim, who now have to go through this horrific cycle of despair all over again.

And finally, as I watched the coverage, I couldn’t help but think that, had the same level of examination and adherence to Italian law and investigative procedure been applied in Georgia, Troy Davis would still be alive.

No comments: