Saturday, September 06, 2008

A Love Note To Blogger Tech Support

Time for more boring "blogger meta" stuff...

I posted last week about the fact that I could not view the site from my daytime location because I received an error message telling me that Internet Explorer 6 couldn't load it, so the operation was aborted. I thought the issue lied with my daytime provider, but the issue has now replicated itself on my home PC, so I now know that the fault lies with Blogger. This has been going on since at least Wednesday, and to say that I'm PO'ed about Blogger's inaction on this (despite three posts to the Blogger help(less) group) is a huge understatement.

What this means to you, dear reader, is that, in addition to possibly encountering this issue yourself since it seems to be replicating, I will not be able to reply to comments since I can only do so in view mode, and again, when I try to access the view, I get the IE error and it crashes. And I know this is occurring with other IBC blogs.

I read a post on a discussion forum that this may be some Blogger/Google trick to get more people to try Chrome instead of IE; believe me when I tell you that I am not a fan of anything created by Bill Gates, but it ended up costing me over $300 to replace my hard drive and install some new programs the last time I had to back out of IE7 (which is a hideous program) back to IE6, and I'm not going to risk that hell again with a new browser. And in principle, this would be a reprehensible thing for Blogger/Google to do; I was willing to put up with the occasional disappearing/duplicating post from time to time, to say nothing of disappearing/duplicating text and other content, but if this is what they're up to, this would absolutely tear it with them.

So I don't know exactly what will be happening next. I may try to continue posting, or I may just put everything on hold while I ready a new "home" elsewhere and cut the cord with Blogger for good. It's really up to them.

If and when I get this mess settled, I'll let you know ASAP. In the meantime, thanks for hanging in there.

No comments: